Thursday, September 29, 2011

Yergin's "The Quest"

My copy of "The Quest" - Dan Yergin's follow-up to his excellent history of oil "The Prize - arrived yesterday from Amazon. I've read several reviews of the book, so I'm not going into it cold. Steve LeVine thinks that it doesn't have nearly as much original research as The Prize. Fareed Zakaria thinks that he doesn't complete many of his thoughts, perhaps because doing so would lead to some of the disturbing conclusions - either about climate change or energy security. David Roberts chalks up Yergin's book and Zakaria's review to elite disdain for renewable energy.

In August, I put out my large White Paper on Energy and Environmental policy, "America's Energy Choices". Although it only topped-out at 30 pages, I felt like I could very easily have expanded it into a book. I probably would not have sold as many copies as Yergin has, but I see the importance of a big book like this. That's why I'm going to try to live blog my reading of The Quest. I'll put up a brief notes here on the blog with the 'Yergin' label after many chapters. I'll also put Yergin's little bits of insight up on twitter with the hastag #YerginNuggets. Maybe we can have a little fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment