Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What will actually happen on the Oil Sands

I just finished a post on why I think that permitting the Keystone XL pipeline would not benefit American energy security, economic stability, or environmental sustainablity (see also here on ASP's blog).

However, that does not mean I think that anyone will listen to me.

Before they left for their August recess, the House passed legislation that would require the State Department to issue a ruling on whether or not to allow the pipeline to move forward. Although the legislation is unlikely to move through the Senate, it does put pressure on the Administration to move forward with its decision.

As much as the Administration has done on climate and environmental policy, I think they realize they're vulnerable to charges of not creating enough jobs. That will be question #1 in next fall's election, and I think they're willing to sacrifice environmentalists (who have never proved able to deliver any votes) for jobs. If Bill McKibben and 350.org can use their direct action to convince policymakers otherwise, more power to them. But, I'm not sure that will actually happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment